All Tennessee high school seniors can apply for the Tennessee Promise scholarship (Deadline November 1st), which will provide for up to two years tuition-free at Chattanooga State (including the Tennessee College of Applied Technology). Tennessee Promise is a last-dollar scholarship, meaning it will cover tuition and mandatory fees not already covered by Pell grant, HOPE scholarship, and Tennessee Student Assistance Award. As part of the program, students will be provided a mentor who will support them during the college enrollment process.
All TN Promise recipients must complete 8 hours of community service before each semester. These hours must be reported directly to tnAchieves. Read more information regarding the community service requirements.
Reminder: All community service hours must be submitted directly to tnAchieves.
What is TN Promise?
Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program focused on increasing the number of students that attend college in our state. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning it will cover mandatory tuition and fees not covered by the Pell Grant, the HOPE scholarship, TSAA, SEOG, or other outside scholarship funds. Additionally, Tennessee Promise participants must complete eight hours of community service prior to each term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA) at the institution. TN Promise is available for 5 semesters of continuous enrollment at an eligible institution or until a degree is obtained or program completion.
Who is eligible?
- Tennessee Resident (for a year prior to enrollment as determined by Admissions)
- Graduate from an eligible Tennessee high school or home school program or have a GED or HiSET diploma (obtained prior to 19 years of age)
What fees are covered by the Tennessee Promise?
- Maintenance Fee ($168 credit hour)
- Technology Access Fee ($116 semester)
- Program Services Fee ($47 semester)
What fees are NOT covered by Tennessee Promise?
- Applied Music
- Distance Education ($25 per credit hour)
- On-line Course fees ($67 per credit hour)
- TN eCampus Course fees ($152 per credit hour)
- Orientation fee ($10)
- Math lab fees ($65)
- Other non-mandatory fees
How can I keep my Tennessee Promise?
- Maintain full-time (12 or more hours) enrollment during Fall and Spring semesters
- Maintain 2.0 GPA at the end of the academic year or Satisfactory Academic Progress for TCAT students
- Complete eight hours of community service prior to each semester and submit hours to tnAchieves before the deadlines: July 1 for fall and December 1 for spring
- File the FAFSA by January 17 of each year
- Verification must be completed. The priority deadline to have all documentation submitted is July 1st.
Can I use my TN Promise for summer classes?
- You must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours)
- You must have submitted an additional 8 hours of community service before April
- If you use Promise in summer, it will count as one of your 5 semester limits for Promise.
- Summer is not a required term for Promise, so you can attend part-time without receiving Promise to still be eligible for the fall.
- TN Promise Student Checklist
- TSAC Student Portal
- Chattanooga State Application
- ChattState Financial Aid