Hope Scholarship is awarded to graduating Tennessee high school students based on their GPA or ACT score. Students must maintain continuous enrollment in at least 6 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester as well as an eligible GPA.
The award is worth $1,500 per semester for fulltime enrollment. Hope Aspire and Hope Merit are worth up to $250 and $500 per semester, respectively.
Initial Eligibility Requirements
- Must have an eligible 3.0 GPA and/or minimum 21 ACT Composite score.
- Home school students must have minimum 21 ACT Composite score.
- Must be a Tennessee resident.
- Must submit a FAFSA.
- Must enroll at an eligible Tennessee college within 16 months of high school graduation.
- Must submit a FAFSA each year.
- Must enroll each Fall and Spring semester.
- Must maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA after 24 and 48 attempted college credits.
- Must maintain a minimum 3.00 GPA after 72 and 96 attempted college credits.
- Students who drop or withdraw from 12 or more hours to fewer than 12 hours within a semester will permanently forfeit eligibility; FA grades due to stopped attendance count as withdrawals.
Appeal & Exception Process for Hope Scholarship
Students who forfeit Hope eligibility due to a change of enrollment or non-continuous enrollment can request an appeal. Depending on the circumstances of the forfeiture, students might be considered for eligibility again through the appeal process.
Students who lose eligibility due to an unsatisfactory GPA will not be considered for an appeal. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Students seeking an appeal for a non-GPA forfeiture of eligibility can contact FinAid@chattanoogastate.edu. Appeals will be reviewed and decided by an Institutional Review Panel to determine if a student’s justification and documentation qualify them for reinstatement. Appeals that are denied can be further appealed to the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation.
Information about the Institutional Review Panel
The IRP is established for the purpose of reviewing appeals for a student's request to change their enrollment status and leave of absence as it relates to their continued eligibility for the HOPE Scholarship. The IRP will be designated by the institution administrator and may be composed, but not limited to, the following: two faculty members, one support staff, one student, and one administrator. An alternate will be designated for any IRP member who is personally involved in a particular case or is otherwise unable to attend.
Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation
TELS Award Appeals Panel
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1950
Nashville, Tennessee 37243