Dear Chattanooga State Community,
As the number of COVID-19 cases in our community continues to grow, I want to encourage you to wear a face mask when you are in public and around others outside of your home. Face masks reduce the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID-19 by about one-third. None of us wants to return to a quarantine environment like we had to do in March. So, please do your part and wear a facemask.
Graduation Update (for Spring/Summer graduates)
We previously communicated commencement would be held on August 1 at Memorial Auditorium. In the interest of safety, we need to modify these plans to ensure we are practicing appropriate social distancing. Due to the capacity restrictions at Memorial Auditorium and other venues, we have made the difficult decision to move to a Virtual Ceremony. We realize this is disappointing for many of you; we are also very disappointed. We are planning on-campus events for students to pick up their caps and gowns. These events will take place between July 13 and July 24. Students will be sent an assigned time to come to campus during which time there will be an opportunity to have a photo made in your graduation regalia as you walk across the graduation stage These photos will be incorporated into a virtual ceremony video with plans to release the video on August 1.
Fall 2020 Schedule Update
As communicated yesterday via email, the fall 2020 instructional delivery method has been modified in order to allow for flexibility and contingency planning should a COVID-19 resurgence occur during the fall semester. We are not changing the Fall 2020 calendar. Classes will begin on August 24 as originally planned. However, the method in which the course is taught is changing. The decision to modify the instructional delivery was made because we heard how difficult it was on students to move from on-ground to online this past spring, and we want to avoid putting students through that in the fall. We are working very hard to provide the resources you need to be successful in a virtual learning environment. Courses will be taught using one of the following methods:
- Virtual (synchronous): Courses are offered using a video conferencing service to deliver live instruction at a specified time and day as listed in the fall schedule. So, what does this mean exactly? If you registered for an on-ground class, the class will meet as scheduled, but the class will be virtual. For example, if you had a MWF course scheduled for 10:00-10:50, the course will meet at that time, but the instructor will lead the class using a service such as Zoom. You will have “live time” with the instructor on a consistent basis.
- Hybrid: Courses are offered part online (asynchronous) and/or part virtual (synchronous) instruction and part face-to-face instruction. The face-to-face instruction will be limited primarily to programs that have a strong hands-on component that cannot be delivered in a virtual environment. Dates for the on campus instruction will be listed in the course syllabus or course learning management system. So, what does this mean exactly? Some on-ground courses will meet on campus if they have a heavy hands-on component like welding or other labs. They will have a virtual component and then come to campus to do their hands-on component.
- Online (asynchronous): Traditional online courses do not meet on a certain day or at a certain time. Online courses are taught completely through the ChattState learning management system (LMS).
Faculty are working now to determine the best method for their class. Once finalized, we will send an update to students. To stay informed, please continue to check all emails from Chattanooga State.
Fall 2020 Registration Reminder
The time to register for the fall 2020 semester is now, and we are here to assist you with multiple options for Registration Assistance, including:
In-person, on-campus (by appointment only): Monday - Thursday. Contact Kelli Yates to schedule an appointment at 423-697-2456 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chat with us live via our Virtual Office, Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Virtual Registration Assistance via WebEx is available every Tuesday from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. and every Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. - Noon. These meetings can be accessed from your TigerWeb account. You must have an Education Plan and Pin before joining these sessions.
Contact your advisor for registration assistance or if you do not know who your faculty advisor is, contact the appropriate academic division office as listed below:
Business - 423-697-4441
Engineering - 423-697-4434
Humanities - 423-697-2441
Math & Science - 423-697-2558
Nursing & Allied Health - 423-697-4450
Social & Behavioral Sciences - 423-697-3127
TCAT students should email TCATSS@ChattanoogaState.eduor call 423-697-4433 for assistance with TCAT program registration. TCAT students are not required to have a PIN for registration. TCAT students can also connect with advisors in their virtual office.
You may find the following links helpful during the registration process.
Please note, registration will temporarily be closed beginning Monday, June 29 at 5:00 p.m. through Tuesday, June 30 due to required year-end system updates. Registration will reopen on Wednesday, July 1 at 8:00 a.m.
CARES Act Emergency Student Grant
Earlier this month, Chattanooga State distributed approximately 90% of its CARES Act money ($2,321,493.44) to 5,158 eligible students, reserving 10% of the funding to provide emergency financial grants for COVID-19-related expenses incurred that exceeded the amount previously awarded. The CARES Act Emergency Student Grant funds are available for Title IV eligible students in need who meet all eligibility requirements outlined by the U.S. Department of Education, as well as eligibility guidelines established by federal policy and in conjunction with TBR guidance. An application is required for this portion of the CARES money. Additional information about this emergency financial aid, as well as the application for this aid, is available here. If you have additional questions about the CARES Act, please contact email@example.com. Updates related to the CARES Act will also be posted here.
Looking For a Job?
Chattanooga State’s Career Services can assist you with your job search. To schedule a virtual appointment with Career Services, call 423.697.4421, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/student-support/careers.
Support Services for Students
If you are in need of assistance, please let us know. We are here to help you.
- The Helping Hands Fund provides emergency aid for students in need. Submit a Helping Hands Request here.
- The Tiger Cupboard provides supplemental food and other necessities for students in need. Although the campus is closed, we will fulfill requests for food from the Cupboard. Visit https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/tiger-cupboard for more information.
- Chattanooga State is dedicated to delivering support services and resources to assist our students. Learn more about the services available through our Student Support Center here.
Remember, do your part to decrease the spread of COVID-19--follow the three W’s: wear a face mask, wait 6-feet apart (social distancing), and wash your hands frequently. We are resilient. We are innovative. We are united. We are ChattState.
Rebecca Ashford, Ed.D.