On Wednesday, June 10, Chattanooga State began distributing approximately 90% of its CARES money ($2,321,493.44) to 5,158 eligible students based on whether they were Pell Grant recipients or not, in the Spring 2020 term. Chattanooga State reserved 10% of the CARES funding to provide emergency financial grants for COVID-19-related expenses using CARES Act Emergency Student Grant to Title IV eligible students in need who meet all eligibility requirements outlined by the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). The CARES Act emergency grant funds are for related expenses the student incurred as a result of COVID-19 greater than the amount previously received from Chattanooga State in June 2020. Students will receive assistance based upon eligibility guidelines established by federal policy and in conjunction with TBR guidance.
Requirements of eligibility for an emergency student grant include, but are not limited to:
- Be a Title IV aid eligible student: Title IV aid is Federal Student Financial Aid programs such as Pell Grant, Federal SEOG (supplemental education opportunity grant), or borrowed money such as the Student Federal Direct Loan. This includes meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines, not owing an overpayment of Title IV aid to the Department of Education, and having no federal student loans in default.
- Be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program as of March 13, 2020.
- Be enrolled in at least one face-to-face class as of March 13, 2020.
- Be a US Citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Have a valid social security number.
If approved for funding, any emergency grant funds will be released to students by either refund check or direct deposit, depending on the method a student has set-up with the college.
An application is required for this portion of the CARES money. To apply, please login to TigerWeb and click the "Cares Application" button. The priority deadline is July 15, 2020.
If you have additional questions about the CARES Act, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. CARES Act updates will also be posted here.
For those students in need who are not eligible for CARES Act funding, the Helping Hands Fund provides emergency aid for students. Submit a Helping Hands Request here. The Tiger Cupboard provides supplemental food and other necessities for students. Log in with your TigerID and password to make a Tiger Cupboard request here.