May 6, 2022 | Betty A. Proctor | Internal Press Release
May 6, 2022 (Chattanooga, TN) --- SkillsUSA competitions returned to in-person status for the first time since 2019 and student participants from the Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT) at Chattanooga State Community College captured a total of 42 individual medals in 24 contests. Thirty-two of these medals were Gold, seven were Silver, and three were Bronze. A total of fifty-seven TCAT Chattanooga contestants competed this year.
In addition to student medals, TCAT Chattanooga came home with the Chapter of Distinction Gold Level Chapter Excellence Program (CEP) Award and the James D. King Award. The Tennessee Post-Secondary Advisor of the Year Award was presented to Mike Mercer, master instructor, Computer Support Technician. “Mr. Mercer has been an amazing advisor for more than 10 years and this prestigious award is well deserved,” stated Dr. Jim Barrott, executive vice president, TCAT.
Gold Medal Winners:
- Asia Early, Heather Everett, Michelle Bryant - Career Pathways Showcase, Arts & Communications
- Katelyn Cooke – Employment Application Process
- Amanda Graham, Brooklynn Morrison, Hannah Andes, Tessa Green – Health Knowledge Bowl
- Thomas Buholzer – HVAC/R
- Matthew Deckman – Internet of Things, Smart Home
- Liz Zapata Obregon, Caroline Childers – Job Skill Demo
- Ryan Folz – Marine Service Technology
- Tara Grimes – Medical Assisting
- Kim Ortiz-Ruiz, Alexis Germain – Nail Care
- Amy Salazar, Anthony Jada, Jacob Gross, Jacob King, Jerry Fuget, Josh Osterhaus, Shyanne Geathers – Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Jonah Smith – Power Equipment Technology
- Alisha Holland-Frazier, Andrew Orr, Ashlyn West, Denzel Monfort, Erik Van Daley, Nathan Whitten, Timothy Kerley – Quiz Bowl
- Brennen Wilhoite, Kaleb Moody – Robotics Automation Technology
- Andrew Travis – Technical Computer Applications
Silver Medal Winners:
- Treasure Johnson – Automotive Refinishing Technology
- Hayley Farris – Collision Damage Appraisal
- Jeffery “Leo” Waters – Industrial Motor Control
- Jacob King – Job Interview
- Kate Crowe – Medical Assisting
- Lewis Bennett – Motorcycle Service Technology
- Noah Templeton – Technical Computer Applications
Bronze Medal Winners:
- Alex Curtis – Information Technology Services
- Mattie Alexander – Medical Assisting
- Anthony Jada – Medical Math
Gold medalists will advance to the national SkillsUSA competition that will be held June 20-24 in Atlanta. “We are very pleased that we had so many students receive gold medals at the recent State SkillsUSA competition,” said Dr. Barrott. “It speaks to the quality faculty that we have and their excellent engagement with students to prepare our students with a high level of industry skills. We are anxious to see how they do at the national competitions in June.”
SkillsUSA advisors play a big part in helping to prepare students for competitions each year. Advisors for the 2022 competition included Diane Jackson, LeShundria Nelson, Cynthia Rutledge, Nancy Draper, Houston Graham, Mike Mercer, Rex Weeks, Tiffany Hammond, Ed Grun, Jimmy Jones, Rebecca Stewart, Scotty Holland, Tim Chastain, Robert Martin, Bill Heckathorn, and Rick Swafford.
All TCAT Chattanooga students have the opportunity to become a member of its SkillsUSA Chapter where they focus on personal and workplace skills as well as technical skills grounded in academics. This framework empowers members to become world-class workers, leaders, and responsible American citizens. For more information about programs offered through TCAT Chattanooga, call 423.697.4433 or visit the TCAT Chattanooga web page here.