The Instructor Trainee class teaches the concepts for instruction in the disciplines of cosmetology, aesthetic and manicurist. Topics include history of teaching, educator characteristics, curriculum development-evaluation, and teaching assessments in techniques. The class covers all of the theory and practical skills needed to take the Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology licensing exam.
- Program Length (Certificate)
The Instructor program is a one-semester class that prepares current license holders to teach at the secondary or postsecondary level. Classroom and laboratory learning experiences in the program focus on the basic skills required for state board licensing as an instructor. The students learn to create lesson plans, teach theory lessons, laboratory demonstrations and understand the skills needed to become proficient in the Instructor environment.
To teach students practical applications and theory of relating to the regulations set forth by the Tennessee Board of Cosmetology
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach students practical applications and theory
- Inform students of regulations set forth by the Tennessee Board of Cosmetology
- Prepare students for the state board licensing exam
- Implement the appropriate curriculum for a licensed Cosmetology program
- Plan a program of study that meets the individual’s needs, interest, and abilities of the students
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students
- Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior
- Maintain attendance records and enforce attendance policy
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by administration
Earnings as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor 2010-2011 Occupational Outlook Handbook show a salary range between $30,750 to $62,000 depending on years of experience and highest degree earned.
The Cosmetology Instructors class is not offered every semester, and enrollment is limited. Interested persons must have a valid cosmetology license, be at college level reading and writing and will be interviewed by the cosmetology instructors before allowed to register for the class.
- Part-time class (300 hours)
- Day and Evening classes
- Enrollment is limited to 1 or 2 students in each class
|Semester||Day Class||Evening Class||Days|
|Fall (300 hours)||8:00am – 12:30pm||4:00pm – 8:30pm||Monday - Friday|
|Spring (300 hours)||8:00am – 12:30pm||4:00pm – 8:30pm||Monday - Friday|
|Summer (300 hours)||8:00am – 1:00pm||4:00pm – 9:00pm||Monday - Friday|
The Cosmetology Instructor must have his or her kit and will need various teaching aids as required by your individual instructor.
|*Fall, Spring or Summer (300 hours)||$1,250|
|Books (estimate) online||$300|
TCAT Special Fees
Charged in Addition to Maintenance and Tuition
- Credit by Examination Fee - The regular course fee is charged for each special examination and must be paid prior to taking the examination. Non-refundable. (See Academic Regulations.)
- Credit for Life Experience Fees - Assessment Fee for Experiential Learning $45.00. Experiential Learning Credit $15.00 per credit hour in excess of 3.0 credit hours. $90.00 maximum.
- High School Equivalency Test (Hi-SET) - $75
- Placement Test Fees - ACT - $45.00. (Refer to Admissions Policy.)
Textbook bundles are available at the Chattanooga State Bookstore.
- Mindful Teaching Pro - instructor training content online
- Uniform to be determined by your instructor
- Learning Styles and Types of Learners
- Lesson Plans
- Course Content
- Implements and Equipment used for Instruction
- Student Motivation
- Educational Environment
- Teacher Characteristics
- Teaching Styles
Student Evaluation and Testing Methodology
- Developing Tests
- Grading Methods
- Meeting Licensure Requirements
- Licensed Duties
- Renewal of License
- Board Responsibilities and Disciplinary Actions
- License Display
- Salon Manager and School Manager Responsibilities
- Change of Address