The Career Services office is here to help you choose a major, get a job, and prepare for professional success. Located in Student Center room 216, we offer:
- Career Coaching – talk with a career counselor to discuss options.
- Assessment & Exploration – use the Pathway U Career Assessment to identify optimal education and career choices.
- Job Search Planning – develop a step by step strategy for conducting a successful job search.
- Resume Writing Assistance
- No appointment needed on Walk-in Wednesdays from 9-11 and 2-4
- Schedule an appointment on other weekdays
- Interview Skills – a mock interview allows you to practice important skills in a simulated interview setting.
- Interview Attire Assistance – if you don’t have or can’t afford professional interview clothing, a voucher from Northside Neighborhood House can help.
- JOBlink – use your Tigerweb username and password to log in and begin a job search.
- Career & College Fairs – connect with employers or learn about college transfer programs.
- Career Planning
- Job Search
Where is the location of Career Services and when is the office open?
We are located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center in room 216. Office hours are Monday-Thursday 8-5:30, and Friday 8–4:30. Appointments via phone or outside regular business hours are available upon request Monday - Friday.
What are benefits of using Career Services?
We assist students as they go through a self-assessment process, explore occupations through career research, match a career to a major, and then seek out experiential education and conduct a strategic job search. This process is done with the support of experienced career professionals.
When should I visit Career Services?
Career planning is an important process, so we encourage students to begin using our services prior to registration or during their first semester. Studies show that students who have a clear career goal are much more motivated and less likely to drop out of school.
Do I need an appointment to see a career counselor?
Yes, appointments are scheduled with career counselors to ensure there is enough time to discuss your career-related needs. We prefer students to schedule appointments by contacting our office at 423-697-4421 or stopping by the Student Center room 216.
How can I find employment opportunities?
Career Services uses JOBlink, an online career management system that allows students to create a profile using their resume and apply for part-time and full-time jobs, internships, and Cooperative Education positions posted by local, state, and national employers. You already have an account created for you! To begin, log in to JOBlink with your Tigerweb username and password.
What is a resume and why do I need one? How can I get help with mine?
The purpose of a resume is to persuade an employer to interview you by demonstrating that you are qualified for a certain type of work. It is a summary of professional experience and should contain carefully selected and organized information that shows how your past relates to future job goals. Students may email their resume to email@example.com or call to schedule an appointment. On Walk-in Wednesdays no appointment is needed between 9-11 or 2– 4.
How do I prepare for an interview?
Prepare for your interview by meeting with a career counselor. Call Career Services at 423-697-4421 to schedule a mock interview. The process will take about an hour, so please plan accordingly.
Do you have career fairs?
We hold career fairs and recruitment events to connect you with employers. We typically host at least four Career and Transfer Fairs each year.
- Part-time Job Fair in September
- Transfer Fair in November
- Career Fair in March
- Allied Health Fair in April
Can you guarantee that I will have a job after graduation?
What Career Services can guarantee is helping you choose a career, plan and prepare for a job search, and provide opportunities for networking and interviewing. We teach you how to conduct a self-directed job search, which will help not only when you graduate, but in years to come.
Can Alumni still use Career Services after graduation?
Absolutely! We welcome Chattanooga State Alumni to use our services any time they need assistance with job searching.
For more information, contact: