Academic Suspension Appeal Procedures
- Chattanooga State students skip this section and go to Tuition and Fees Section.
- Potential transfer students who wish to appeal academic suspension must complete an application for admission to Chattanooga State Community College as a degree-seeking student, not transient. Contact Admissions at 423-697-4401 or apply online at (https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/admissions)
- Potential transfer students may be allowed to participate in an appeal hearing ONLY if his/her admission file is complete (all required documents should have been submitted, i.e., transcripts from all schools attended, ACT scores, etc.).
Tuition & Fees:
- If your appeal is approved, you MUST pay your tuition and fees that day to the Bursars Office (Student Center 140).
- Students wishing to pay with financial aid should make sure they are still eligible to receive financial aid.
Collect Documents for Appeals Hearing:
- Letter (3 copies): Compose a letter to the Academic Appeals Committee explaining your failing grade point average. Describe extenuating circumstances surrounding your academic performance.
- Transcripts (3 copies): Secure transcripts from ALL colleges/universities you have attended.
- Chattanooga State transcripts may be downloaded from the college’s web site.
- Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but MUST contain student’s name and identification number.
- Academic Plan (3 copies): Your current academic plan is done with your advisor. Your academic plan must include specific courses and recommendations by your advisor, which support your educational goals.
- Optional documentation:
- Reference letters from previous instructors.
- Other you deem appropriate (i.e., doctor’s statement).
Before Making an Appointment:
- All Students – Obtain all necessary documents listed above.
- Transfer students – Make sure all required information has been submitted to the Admissions Office.
Schedule an Appointment for Your Hearing:
- Call 423-697-4483 (Student Support Center) for an appointment to meet with the Appeals Committee.
- Your appointment date and time are:__________________________________________________
- Location is:__________________________________________________
At Your Appeals Hearing:
- Present your case to the Academic Appeals Committee (at appointed time)
- At the conclusion of your hearing, the committee will inform you of their decision.
- Possible outcomes may be, but are not limited to, the following:
- Academic Suspension is upheld.
- Student is allowed admission or re-admission to college with restrictive hours in coursework.