Important Information: The Chattanooga State scholarship application typically opens each November 1 for the following academic year with a priority deadline of March 1. Students who complete the application by the priority date will receive consideration for awards before late applicants. All scholarships are contingent on applicant eligibility and fund availability.
*Students must re-apply for scholarships each academic year. Students meeting the eligibility to retain a scholarship may receive it up to a maximum of four semesters. Scholarship renewal is not guaranteed.*
Scholarships Offered at Chattanooga State
Academic Service Scholarship
The Academic Service award is based on academic achievement and campus service requirements. A student is required to complete a work assignment as mandated by the Tennessee Board of Regents. If all service hours are not completed, a portion or all money received may be owed to the institution. Initial recipients must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Enroll for a minimum of six (6) credit hours each semester (awards pro-rated on credit hours).
- Must be in a degree seeking program.
- Must not have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.9.
- Transfer students must have successfully completed 12 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.9 (students with less than 12 credit hours will be considered as first-time freshmen).
Termination from the program may occur due to the following reasons:
- Failure to enroll and maintain at least six (6) credit hours each semester.
- Failure to maintain both semester and cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above.
- Failure to complete the work obligation.
- Failure to successfully complete a renewal application by the priority deadline each year.
Promise Plus Scholarship
The Promise Plus scholarship is an award provided by Chattanooga State to supplement the TN Promise Scholarship. The Promise Plus award provides up to $750 per semester to help with books, supplies, transportation, and fees not covered by the state’s TN Promise Scholarship. Eligible students must meet the criteria below:
- Receive and maintain TN Promise Scholarship eligibility.
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours each semester.
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA to qualify.
- Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA by the end of each Spring semester.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Maximum eligibility is 4 semesters.
The Empowerment Grant is designed to assist in meeting the campus mission of maintaining an environment of open access to learning while providing an enriched curriculum and environment that celebrates diversity and recognizes the strength of differences. Chattanooga State understands diverse educational experiences allow our students to successfully compete in a global workforce and to assist in sustaining our country’s global economy and competitiveness. Empowerment Grant funds are provided by the Tennessee Board of Regents. Recipients must meet the following qualifications:
- Tennessee resident (any exceptions will be reviewed on an individualized basis in accordance with Chattanooga State and/or Tennessee Board of Regent policies)
- Minimum 2.0 high school or college (semester and cumulative) GPA or a minimum score of 450 on the GED.
A student must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Rural service area
- Economic Disadvantage—persons experiencing economic hardship who might be a part of the AHEAD program; Families First; WIA; Disability Support Services or referred through other support services on campus.
- Experiencing extenuating circumstances which would prevent attending college without an Empowerment Grant
- First generation college student (neither parent possesses a bachelor’s degree). The award amount is based on several factors, included but not limited to, the number of applications received and available funds.
Reconnect Plus Scholarship
The Reconnect Plus Scholarship is an award provided by Chattanooga State to supplement the TN Reconnect Grant. Similar to Promise Plus, it provides a prorated award amount to help students with books, supplies, transportation, and mandatory fees not covered by the state’s TN Reconnect Grant. Eligible students must meet the criteria below:
- Receive and maintain TN Reconnect Grant eligibility.
- Enroll in and complete at least 6 credit hours each semester.
- Forfeiture of Reconnect Grant eligibility or failure to enroll in at least 6 credit hours each semester will cause the forfeiture of Reconnect Plus.
All students are encouraged to apply for Foundation scholarships, regardless of financial situation, program of study, or GPA. The Foundation Scholarships are provided by the Chattanooga State Foundation and private donors. The Foundation, a private nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, was chartered in 1977 by citizens interested in the educational well-being of Chattanooga State’s students. Requirements and award amounts vary. Scholarships may be renewed depending upon scholarship criteria. Failure to meet individual qualifications of awarded scholarships during any semester will result in forfeiture of the scholarship for the following semester. Recipients must enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credit hours each semester unless program is approved for less hours or specific scholarship criteria states otherwise.
External Scholarship Resources
The link below will take you to third-party, external scholarships not associated with Chattanooga State Community College, including transfer scholarships to Tennessee universities and scholarship search databases. Please use caution when applying to and providing information for third-party scholarships.